Munden's Bar
News: Send us your comments! letters@bullpenbulletinspodcast.com

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. 12:11 AM | Saturday, November 01, 2014

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: laseraw's drawing thread  (Read 16598 times)
KW!!
B.P.R.D.

« Reply #140 on: 01:03 PM | Wednesday, March 31, 2010 »

Awesome, awesome stuff from top to bottom. Thank you for sharing!

laseraw
Alien Legionnaire

« Reply #141 on: 04:04 AM | Monday, April 19, 2010 »

thank you all! Cheesy
jonO, timothy Obriant, ryan, kw!!

ryan, i do take commissions you can just email me or pm me right here ...
thank you for your interest!

here's something from the blog a while back....

evaD
Eternal

« Reply #142 on: 05:04 AM | Monday, April 19, 2010 »

muchas gracias evaD!
you're always very complementary of my posts!

just for you!
here's an unseen fathers day commission i drew 2 weeks ago.
each character corresponds to a family member.

De nada. I'm complimentary because you're work is truly worthy of praise. Your line is expressive and energetic. You interpret rather than record. I hope I get to see more of your work in the pages of future comics. As an aside, I don't know if you know this, but there is a commission subforum called Artists' Alley here under the main forum. I don't know how many people check in here regularly, but anyone looking for a commission would absolutely check there, you may want to post in that section as well if you're interested in getting commissions.

laseraw
Alien Legionnaire

« Reply #143 on: 06:04 AM | Monday, April 19, 2010 »

done!

thanks evaD!
awesome managing!
Wink

evaD
Eternal

« Reply #144 on: 07:04 PM | Monday, April 19, 2010 »

done!

thanks evaD!
awesome managing!
Wink

I think you'll find my commission and finder's fees extremely affordable. I ask for 0% off the top, with no cash whatsoever coming my way. I dare you to find a cheaper manager.  Cheesy

laseraw
Alien Legionnaire

« Reply #145 on: 08:04 PM | Sunday, April 25, 2010 »

awesome!

got some people interested already and some on the drawing board!

thanks again!

here's an early interpretation of the dr connors transformation sequence...
non dramatized so i could see the changes/stages that actually take place

very different to how it actually looks in the book

evaD
Eternal

« Reply #146 on: 05:04 AM | Monday, April 26, 2010 »

That's really cool. I love how the darks and the motion hide things. The whole image feels very frantic and kinetic.

Will we be seeing more of your stuff in print any time soon?

laseraw
Alien Legionnaire

« Reply #147 on: 05:04 AM | Monday, April 26, 2010 »

i sure hope so!
nothing signed yet...

Thumbs Up

lugaru
« Reply #148 on: 09:04 AM | Monday, April 26, 2010 »

Eres mi heroe!

Seriosly I love your art... hope you get a lot of work. Nothing makes me happier than superheroes drawn with some style other than generic american superhero art.
laseraw
Alien Legionnaire

« Reply #149 on: 04:04 PM | Monday, April 26, 2010 »

thank you!!
i'm working hard at it!
we'll see...
i'm so glad you like them!
you have an awesome site there!

laseraw
Alien Legionnaire

« Reply #150 on: 01:04 PM | Friday, April 30, 2010 »

from the lizard story the evolution scene that opens it (zeb wells is the man!)

here are the prelim ink sketches

inter species brain comparison (so we could, somewhat, bridge reptile and mammal)

pencil layouts

here are the final inks (with the brain development sequence)

final coloring by matt hollingsworth
« Last Edit: 02:04 PM | Friday, April 30, 2010 by laseraw » Logged

evaD
Eternal

« Reply #151 on: 05:04 PM | Friday, April 30, 2010 »

The coloring is beautiful, but your work stands up as black and white so well. Really beautiful stuff, man.

Bmercier23
« Reply #152 on: 12:05 AM | Tuesday, May 04, 2010 »

Sir, it's amazing how much you've improved just over this past year. You were always amazing, but you're becoming someone to reckon with - A style completely your own, distinctive, stands out on the stands, the line work is impeccable, the choices you make as an artist and story-telling are so intelligent. It's just improving at an exponential rate! Can't WAIT to see more from you - And I KNOW there will be more. You're too good.
laseraw
Alien Legionnaire

« Reply #153 on: 05:05 AM | Tuesday, May 04, 2010 »

i think you are right evaD...
i'm pretty sure its because i already use a lot of lighting effects on the b&w drawing (giving volume, distance, blur, etc) so some coloring approaches work intrusively or even against the drawing....
this happens to ME whenever i dare to try!
a balance between flat coloring and some light organic texturing seems to give the best results... but digital coloring offers so much its hard to resist...
coloring is a really one of the hardest jobs on comics, as we are finding out on these last couple of decades, and matt hollingsworth is not only a pro at it, but a genius as well.

i do love coloring but i just love black and white soooo much....
here's my wish/pitch to the tech gods and spirits out there!
with all the ipad, digital comics revolution, one day along with the dvd-like extras on the comics;
have a simple method for separate viewing of the work on several stages of its process.
fully finished/only colored/only inks/unlettered/only pencils/layout/script
at the touch of your finger! at any time within the reading! (like popup menus on blurays)

Yes!!

the production process on contemporary mainstream comics is already divided in this way, so it'd be easy to have documentation of the work at all those different stages ...
it might not be as easy on independent productions or for older issues ... but i guess that's why, for movies, they came up with the useful terms "remastered", "special edition", "directors cut" etc  Wink
these features might be more in tune with the medium than audio commentary, sound effects or partial motion...
i also believe people interested could learn so much of the process and the craft involved by having access to these information

Thinking what do you think?

wow! thank you Bmercier23!
you are too kind!

i have been trying to focus over the last year on specific aspects of the work.
the easy thing for me is to be all over the place and move from reference frame to reference frame as needed by the ideas, or the projects themselves, as i tend to work quickly, with intensity, but in spurts.
still got a bunch to do here on my own, but the outside projects do force me to stand up, and stretch enough to reach a bit higher and tackle those issues that need development.

my style seems to be a bit off the current mainstream tastes to get all the work i'd like to have on the table.
but we'll see...

i thought i posted these over here but maybe not...

evaD
Eternal

« Reply #154 on: 05:05 AM | Tuesday, May 04, 2010 »

What you're suggesting would be awesome. I wish they would offer something like that on print versions. That would work so well in a collected edition hardcover. Obviously, some work wouldn't need to have that happen, but there are plenty of artists out there whose work looks so good in black and white.
Beautiful drawings by the way. I love that Bizarro!

Spooky
« Reply #155 on: 05:05 AM | Tuesday, May 04, 2010 »

i do love coloring but i just love black and white soooo much....
here's my wish/pitch to the tech gods and spirits out there!
with all the ipad, digital comics revolution, one day along with the dvd-like extras on the comics;
have a simple method for separate viewing of the work on several stages of its process.
fully finished/only colored/only inks/unlettered/only pencils/layout/script
at the touch of your finger! at any time within the reading! (like popup menus on blurays)

Yes!!

the production process on contemporary mainstream comics is already divided in this way, so it'd be easy to have documentation of the work at all those different stages ...
it might not be as easy on independent productions or for older issues ... but i guess that's why, for movies, they came up with the useful terms "remastered", "special edition", "directors cut" etc  Wink
these features might be more in tune with the medium than audio commentary, sound effects or partial motion...
i also believe people interested could learn so much of the process and the craft involved by having access to these information

Thinking what do you think?
I wasn't part of the dialog here, but I thought I just join in to say two things. Firstly, I'm glad that you're posting here again and grace the boards with your beautiful artwork! And I think the tech gods heard your prayers already, because I remember hearing about a comic, the name escapes me right now, that was for the Iphone and Ipad and did exactly what you described. It was on a recent Crankcast episode, if I can remeber which one I'll post which one it was.
laseraw
Alien Legionnaire

« Reply #156 on: 06:05 AM | Tuesday, May 04, 2010 »

...I wish they would offer something like that on print versions. That would work so well in a collected edition hardcover...

thanks again EvaD!

of course to have that option on print versions would be wonderful, but also costly, since it'd be more paper, more printing, more shipping ...
but just taking advantage of this new technology and, since a lot of production costs wont be spent on the paper/shipping, some budget could go to assist in the gathering and development of these features, without affecting the end cost of the product that much.... maybe like a percentage increase over the regular issue, if not free, to point out for costumers the values of this new technology (most dvds have some extras, maybe not the full 2disc deal but something)

... Obviously, some work wouldn't need to have that happen, but there are plenty of artists out there whose work looks so good in black and white.

it might be just me but, off the cuff i think i'd be interested in knowing how most of mainstream comics are done... since the standard of mainstream publishing implies a professional mastery of the craft, there's always something to learn (good, bad or just different in its approach)
but you totally have a point evaD, i hadn't thought that nowadays if we "peel" back many of the mainstream works we would see a lot of heavy photo referencing, google sketch-up environments and objects ... not that this is in itself a bad thing ...

i understand older works would require much more effort and informed professionals but, in the case of contemporary works, all of that material (separate stages of scripts, layouts, pencils, inks, coloring,lettering) is already digitized and in the hands of editorial staffs, and in some cases already partially accessible on artists blogs, sites and flicker streams...
it seems it'd be a matter of planning, organizing and putting it together

... I think the tech gods heard your prayers already, because I remember hearing about a comic, the name escapes me right now, that was for the Iphone and Ipad and did exactly what you described...

thank you spooky! i'm glad to be back myself!
i hope i'll be even more present if i get more involved in the conversations!

spooky, we just started discussing the tech thing apropos of how coloring sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't, with what i do ....

i bet this extra stuff is being developed already... didn't mean to invent anything
the idea is pretty straight forward if you try to translate the concept of "extra features" to the comics medium...
it might even work better for comics than for movies (smaller single static files with layers or something)

i think years ago i heard actor tomas jane, of all people, talk about this on fanboy radio; he was developing something like similar for his retro sci-fi comics line ... having the b&w version accessible along with the color one; he was also talking about having sound moods for each page but that did not interest me very much ...
... this was at least 4 years ago ... so the platform obviously wasn't there ... but the thought blew my mind!

Spooky
« Reply #157 on: 03:05 PM | Tuesday, May 04, 2010 »

thank you spooky! i'm glad to be back myself!
i hope i'll be even more present if i get more involved in the conversations!
Thumbs Up

Well, I didn't mean to say that your idea wasn't new, just that there's recently an exact example of what you've spoken about. So, obviously the tech is here and now it's just a matter of time before this is going to permeate the comics world. All I'm saying, wait till you sell those wonderful pages!
Farrell
Elder God

« Reply #158 on: 06:05 PM | Tuesday, May 04, 2010 »

Those pages from the lizard story are fantastic.  With Hollingsworth's colors they are almost, dare I say it, Corbenesque.  I hope you don't mind the comparison.  It really jumped out at me!

"We're mammals for chrissakes. WE ARE MAMMALS." - Wood
evaD
Eternal

« Reply #159 on: 08:05 PM | Tuesday, May 04, 2010 »

thanks again EvaD!

of course to have that option on print versions would be wonderful, but also costly, since it'd be more paper, more printing, more shipping ...
but just taking advantage of this new technology and, since a lot of production costs wont be spent on the paper/shipping, some budget could go to assist in the gathering and development of these features, without affecting the end cost of the product that much.... maybe like a percentage increase over the regular issue, if not free, to point out for costumers the values of this new technology (most dvds have some extras, maybe not the full 2disc deal but something)
In looking at the guys doing the kickstarter programs and looking at how the donations work, obviously there are people out there willing to pay more for those kinds of features. I doubt I'd ever have the money to purchase something like that, but it would be a really cool thing to offer. You are right though, the price would probably be steep.

it might be just me but, off the cuff i think i'd be interested in knowing how most of mainstream comics are done... since the standard of mainstream publishing implies a professional mastery of the craft, there's always something to learn (good, bad or just different in its approach)
but you totally have a point evaD, i hadn't thought that nowadays if we "peel" back many of the mainstream works we would see a lot of heavy photo referencing, google sketch-up environments and objects ... not that this is in itself a bad thing ...
I wonder if that would ruin the "magic"?

i understand older works would require much more effort and informed professionals but, in the case of contemporary works, all of that material (separate stages of scripts, layouts, pencils, inks, coloring,lettering) is already digitized and in the hands of editorial staffs, and in some cases already partially accessible on artists blogs, sites and flicker streams...
it seems it'd be a matter of planning, organizing and putting it together
With so much left to coloring anymore, I wonder if many current comic art stands up as well in black and white.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: