Munden's Bar
News: Waste some time in the Art & Design thread! So pretty...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. 01:08 PM | Friday, August 22, 2014

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 11 O'Clock Comics Episode 175  (Read 4643 times)
Julian Lytle
New God

What's Hood?

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #60 on: 04:08 PM | Friday, August 26, 2011 »

Yep. One looks like Pam Grier in Foxy Brown, too.  Hearts

I was thinking more Michelle Yeoh in Wing Chun or Sister Street Fighter.

Chris
Global Moderator

Not Straight Edged... Or Noir

View Profile Email
« Reply #61 on: 04:08 PM | Friday, August 26, 2011 »

And I disagree with the fact that I have to spend $10 on a book just to get it signed. What's wrong with the $3 or $4 one? What if I can't afford that $10 book so I can't get the regular joint signed? That's some bullshit. $10-$25 is a lot! Fuck that! That's what I spend on groceries. Not everybody is caked up.  Bangs Head

If you can't afford $10, then how can you expect a store to be able to afford the investment in bringing creators in.
It goes both ways.

All I'm saying is that it's not wrong for a store to expect you to buy a specific item if you want stuff signed.
Want to come in and shake the creators hand and not pay? Fine, do that. Want to have your 10 #1 issues signed? Buy the print or the exclusive cover.

I had no problem with the sex or the exploding baby.

comics aren't meant to be popular, get over it people.
Julian Lytle
New God

What's Hood?

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #62 on: 04:08 PM | Friday, August 26, 2011 »

If you can't afford $10, then how can you expect a store to be able to afford the investment in bringing creators in.
It goes both ways.

All I'm saying is that it's not wrong for a store to expect you to buy a specific item if you want stuff signed.
Want to come in and shake the creators hand and not pay? Fine, do that. Want to have your 10 #1 issues signed? Buy the print or the exclusive cover.

If I want to come into your store, something that I don't regularly do because your marketing ploy worked to that point and all I want to do is meet dude and maybe get something signed you're telling me I have to spend $10 I'm leaving and NEVER coming back. I know I'm not the average fan. I don't have a lot to spend on comics when I buy them so $10 for one is a lot. And to me it is wrong if you have the both versions there. Now if you want to charge the person with the huge stack that, that's ok, but that other shit is for the birds.

Chris
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #63 on: 04:08 PM | Friday, August 26, 2011 »

If I want to come into your store, something that I don't regularly do because your marketing ploy worked to that point and all I want to do is meet dude and maybe get something signed you're telling me I have to spend $10 I'm leaving and NEVER coming back. I know I'm not the average fan. I don't have a lot to spend on comics when I buy them so $10 for one is a lot. And to me it is wrong if you have the both versions there. Now if you want to charge the person with the huge stack that, that's ok, but that other shit is for the birds.

If all you want to do is meet the person that's fine.
If you're getting stuff signed and not buying anything, that's douchy.

Will T
Alien Legionnaire

Formerly FoneBone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: 04:08 PM | Friday, August 26, 2011 »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/1rmku9g47UE&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/1rmku9g47UE&rel=1</a>

Rock Horns

Andrew Tom
Fear Agent

The Last in Line.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #65 on: 04:08 PM | Friday, August 26, 2011 »

If all you want to do is meet the person that's fine.
If you're getting stuff signed and not buying anything, that's douchy.

Should the store's regular customers (i.e., those with pre-orders or a pull list) be required to buy the special copy?  

I gotta' say that I'm with Julian on this one Chris.  Bringing a creator into your store is a marketing tool to create traffic and make additional sales.  Yeah, you need to cover the cost of getting the creator there, but doing it with a "gimmick" is like paying $20 to get Boba Fett's autograph at Wizard World.

--Andy

Dan Pua
Chief Monkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: 05:08 PM | Friday, August 26, 2011 »

Comics and Vegetables.

Roll On Floor Laughing

Best. Shop. EVER!

Awesome name! Cheesy I had no idea it was an actual store until a few mins ago. It'd be funny if they also sold vegetables.

comicsatemybrain
Hydra Lackey

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 08:08 PM | Friday, August 26, 2011 »

It's not one, but TWO issues. #27 jumped to $5000+, as well.

I haven't had a chance to listen to this episode yet (too busy getting ready for a visit from Irene aka The Whore of the Sea), but I can tell you that there is a little more info on this tidbit over on the Atomic Avenue forums over here:

http://www.atomicavenue.com/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4432

Note also that in that thread I have a post that links to an earlier thread that discusses some background.  What Atomic Avenue is hoping to do is to look at back issue pricing like a stock market kind of thing, tracking and reporting changes in back issue values (up or down) in real time.  An interesting project and a laudable goal.  But I think that the problem with that approach is that there is no single venue (not Atomic Ave, not eBay, not Lonestar, not MileHigh) that sells *each back issue* in such volume and frequency that can really support such an approach. 

In full fairness, it should be pointed out that the valuation of back issues in the Atomic Avenue database does not have to influence the prices posted on issues for sale on AA.  If I have a NM copy of Eerie #32, I am free to list it on AA for $50,000, for 50 cents, or for some percentage (less than, equal to , or more than) the valuation calculated by the AA database.  So it is really up to the seller to know what they are doing when posting issues for sale.  When I post comics on AA, I certainly look at the database valuation for guidance but I also use additional considerations and just set my stuff at a specific price that I believe makes sense.  Not especially different than what sellers should do when posting stuff on eBay as "Buy It Now" or on Amazon. 

It should also be pointed out that some of the postings of the "June 2011" and "July 2011" Pricing Reports on the Atomic Avenue and ComicBase websites regarding these bizzare hyper-valuations have been removed.  (These are more or less the same as the CBG column.)  I haven't seen an explicit retraction, though.  And given the time lag between when CB/AA puts together their material for their column in CBG and when it actually sees print, you may see some additional craziness reported in the next issue of CBG... but probably nothing as whacky in the CBG issue after that since that report (the Aug 2011 Report) was written up after AA forum posters started calling "shenanigans" on some of those valuations. 
« Last Edit: 12:08 AM | Saturday, August 27, 2011 by comicsatemybrain » Logged
jonny the homicidal drummer
New God

"you should always aim to be your own mouse"

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #68 on: 08:08 PM | Friday, August 26, 2011 »

You just sold another copy sir... if there are still copies for sale that is.

oh man I got like a million left
email jthd35@hotmail.com Smiley

Gordie
Fear Agent

YOU'VE NEVER BEEN MIND-CONTROLLED BY A GORILLA?

View Profile Email
« Reply #69 on: 12:08 AM | Saturday, August 27, 2011 »

(...stay tuned for EOC related pics of said activity. Slick)
http://bullpenbulletinspodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=13646.0

http://gordomailman.tumblr.com/
LISTEN TO: THE GORDCAST    gordomatic.libsyn.com or subscribe @ iTunes: Gordcast
BLOG:http://idontknowmuchbutilikeyourhair.blogspot.com/
clever_username
New God

Watch out for snakes!

View Profile Email
« Reply #70 on: 12:08 AM | Saturday, August 27, 2011 »

I have to disagree HARSHLY with you on this.
To bring in a creator for a signing your looking at an investment in travel, hotel, food & drinks etc. On average it will cost a store around $1000 to host a creator. Requiring you to spend $10 on a specific (and unique to the store) item is not a lot to ask. If you want creators to do signings at stores in addition to cons, this is what it takes.
I know a lot of people won't agree, but going to a store and not dropping $10-$25 on product is just douchy. I've seen it a hundred times at Challengers where they'll bring in A list creators and people will walk in with stacks of shit to get signed and then walk out without buying a damn thing. Makes me want to run down the street after them and kick them in the balls.

I never said anything about not buying anything at the store. I'm more than happy to buy something there. Just don't make me spend money on a variant cover I don't want or make me buy another copy of a book I already bought the week before. At least give us options. Let us spend $10 in the store on other books.

There's no reason it has to be a specific item. 

TV's Frank: The way he struts around like he owns the place...PAH!
Dr. Forrester: Let's use method 53, hmm?
TV's Frank: Yes. Elegant...painful.
Dr. Forrester: And leaves nothing behind but the great small of Brüt!
valance_the_hunter
New God

Like stacking ice cubes.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 05:08 AM | Saturday, August 27, 2011 »

props to jason!  you were on point this episode.  even my girlfriend was bummed that you got cut off during your diatribe, and she hates everything.

TRAGEDY + TIME = COMEDY
JimN
Eternal

Read Baltimore: The Curse Bells!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: 09:08 AM | Saturday, August 27, 2011 »

I never said anything about not buying anything at the store. I'm more than happy to buy something there. Just don't make me spend money on a variant cover I don't want or make me buy another copy of a book I already bought the week before. At least give us options. Let us spend $10 in the store on other books.

There's no reason it has to be a specific item.

Exactly. Requiring people to make a minimum purchase in order to get something signed is reasonable. Requiring people to buy a specific publication they may not want (or may already own) is unreasonable.

Jim

Please visit my blog at www.jimnelsonart.blogspot.com
Follow me on twitter as MothmanJim
Bobgar Ornelas
Eternal

Secret Identity: formerly known as slurmo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: 10:08 AM | Saturday, August 27, 2011 »

Rock Horns Rock Horns Rock Horns Rock Horns Rock Horns Rock Horns Rock Horns

Click Me!
Chris
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #74 on: 10:08 AM | Saturday, August 27, 2011 »

Should the store's regular customers (i.e., those with pre-orders or a pull list) be required to buy the special copy?  

I gotta' say that I'm with Julian on this one Chris.  Bringing a creator into your store is a marketing tool to create traffic and make additional sales.  Yeah, you need to cover the cost of getting the creator there, but doing it with a "gimmick" is like paying $20 to get Boba Fett's autograph at Wizard World.

--Andy

This conversation reminds me of a talk I had with a bar owner a few years ago. I was telling him how I was beginning to like "old man" bars more because I could go in and have a relaxing beer without all the hassles of the trendy hot spots. He said that was all well and good for me, but he couldn't support his family with that kind of bar. He needed people to DRINK.
My point is that whatever we want a store or bar or shop to be, they still have to make money. They're not there for our "entitled" entertainment.
A couple points have been brought up that I agree with: A) If you're already a regular customer, they should let it slide. They know who you are, and that shouldn't be a problem. At the same time you shouldn't have a problem dropping an extra few bucks that day for the store as a thank you. B) I agree that you should be able to say "Hey, I'm not really interested in the print or the comic, but I would have no problem spend the same amount on other store product. Is that OK?" The store should have no problem doing that. (I do that at Challengers a lot)
But it's the people that have never shopped at a store and just blaze in with their stack of books and have no intention of spending a dime or ever coming back that I have problems with.

JimN
Eternal

Read Baltimore: The Curse Bells!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: 11:08 AM | Saturday, August 27, 2011 »

This conversation reminds me of a talk I had with a bar owner a few years ago. I was telling him how I was beginning to like "old man" bars more because I could go in and have a relaxing beer without all the hassles of the trendy hot spots. He said that was all well and good for me, but he couldn't support his family with that kind of bar. He needed people to DRINK.
My point is that whatever we want a store or bar or shop to be, they still have to make money. They're not there for our "entitled" entertainment.
A couple points have been brought up that I agree with: A) If you're already a regular customer, they should let it slide. They know who you are, and that shouldn't be a problem. At the same time you shouldn't have a problem dropping an extra few bucks that day for the store as a thank you. B) I agree that you should be able to say "Hey, I'm not really interested in the print or the comic, but I would have no problem spend the same amount on other store product. Is that OK?" The store should have no problem doing that. (I do that at Challengers a lot)
But it's the people that have never shopped at a store and just blaze in with their stack of books and have no intention of spending a dime or ever coming back that I have problems with.

As you should. That's just disrespectful behavior.

Please visit my blog at www.jimnelsonart.blogspot.com
Follow me on twitter as MothmanJim
Andrew Tom
Fear Agent

The Last in Line.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #76 on: 11:08 AM | Saturday, August 27, 2011 »

As you should. That's just disrespectful behavior.

I agree completely with this philosophy.  If the store wants to force the non-regulars to buy the variant cover, I'm completely fine with it.  Maybe the store should give thier regulars an "inviatation" that excuses them from buying the "promotional item" as a reward for loyalty or something.  It just seems equally douchy to force the variant cover on your regulars that may have already bought the standard cover or may not like the new book (that they are promoting) but love the creator's other work.

--Andy

Julian Lytle
New God

What's Hood?

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #77 on: 01:08 PM | Saturday, August 27, 2011 »

I still think it's douchy to make people buy the expensive item. I can see it if they brought something with them but if they don't have anything with them and they wouldn't mind get Comic Book #XXX signed and there is the regular version I want to get that one.

I don't get this thank you shit. I don't think any other store I shop at local or big box. I'm not about to treat comics differently.

Hassan T
Fear Agent

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 01:08 PM | Saturday, August 27, 2011 »

Ok, this show is becoming expensive to listen to. Last week (or the week before) after listening to the show, I became excited for Forming by Jesse Moynihan from Adhouse Books. I ended up picking the book at the Baltimore con. Now after listening to this week's episode, I want to pick up both Kagan McLeod's Infinite Kung Fu and Mr. Murder is Dead!!

I enjoyed the X-Men talk. I am an old time X-Men fan but I can't get into all the X-Men books. It isn't just because there are a lot of X-Men books or they double ship all the time, because I don't have the same problems with the many Batman and Avengers books. I think part of the problem is that there are so many X-Characters that is hard to get excited about everyone. Additionally, until Morrison did his X-Men run, I didn't think previous writers told actual stories but focus on subplot after subplot. And sometimes writers focus too much on the past and not come up with new stories or themes.

I am enjoying Jason Aaron as a "X-Men" writer. I think he is one of the best writers ever on a solo Wolverine book and I think Schism is really good. I am really excited for the X-Men books after Schism but I going to stick with Uncanny X-Men, Uncanny X-Force, Wolverine, and Wolverine and the X-men.

Before I forget, kudos for Jason for keeping the DC sales news positive. There is a small loud majority of fans that seems to always look at the downside of everything, but you kept it positive and put it the news in perspective.
lawnbuddha
Alien Legionnaire

81345216 lawnbuddha@hotmail.com lawnbuddha1 lawnbuddha
View Profile Email
« Reply #79 on: 01:08 PM | Saturday, August 27, 2011 »

not to change the subject (I have nothing new to add, so why add something that's already been said better by Julian); but...I just bought both Infinite Kung-Fu and Mr. Murder is Dead. Thanks for the recommendations, as always, guys!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: