Munden's Bar
News: Check out our recommendations in the 11 O'Clock Comics Amazon Store!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. 09:09 PM | Thursday, September 18, 2014

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 11 O'Clock Comics Episode 175  (Read 4766 times)
braddwyer
Legion of Substitute Superheroes

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #80 on: 06:08 PM | Saturday, August 27, 2011 »

While it sucks to see a LCS close, I wasnít a fan. I usually go to Samurai (my favorite is All About Books and Comics, but it isnít convenient for me anymore). I used to go to one of the AC locations from time to time, and it did have that hole-in-the wall feel that I like. The people were okay, not super douchy or super friendly. And they did sell Faygo out of a cooler.

The main store in Mesa was not that great, IMO. It had a large, open floor plan but it was almost too big. They could have gotten away with less square footage and still had plenty of room. The employees I dealt with there werenít that friendly.

Again, I didnít want to see them close, but I wasnít a patron. Glad to hear that Samurai is helping out with the new comics they had ordered. Iím a big fan of that store and the owner, Mike, is a class act.

I live down the street from where the Mesa store was located, and I rarely went in there because I never felt that the staff was very friendly. I'm more interested in indy comics and minicomix, anyhow, and Samurai always had a much wider selection of that kinda stuff. So for my money, Samurai Comics is the LCS for me.

Andrew Tom
Fear Agent

The Last in Line.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #81 on: 11:08 PM | Saturday, August 27, 2011 »

I just bought both Infinite Kung-Fu and Mr. Murder is Dead. Thanks for the recommendations, as always, guys!

I also picked up these two books today...but I also picked up one of Top Shelf's other new offerings, PIRATE PENGUIN vs. NINJA CHICKEN.  It's an all ages book in the vein of Tiny Titans.  This Ray Friesen guy may offer Art & Franco a challenge at next year's Eisners.  I'm absolutely loving it.  Funny thing though, my 2 year old picked it out at DCBS today.

NickBrok
Alien Legionnaire

NickBrok NickBrok
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #82 on: 08:08 AM | Sunday, August 28, 2011 »

Great show, chaps. I just wish we had that comic shop/visiting creator problem in my neck of the woods. All we ever get in my local LCS is an overweight Batman and mothball smelling Joker visiting every few months...
Anyhoo. I'll be picking up Mr Murder for sure. Sounds beezer!

http://www.nickbrokenshire.co.uk
[img]http://www.nickbrokenshire.co.uk/uploads/images/Art/banner.jpg[img]
Night (Travis) Nurse
New God

EOCGRPC score: 730 pts

View Profile Email
« Reply #83 on: 08:08 AM | Sunday, August 28, 2011 »

Always late to listen but great show.

I read Mr. Murder is Dead last week and loved it. I am a huge Dick Tracy fan (own an original strip) so this was something that was written for me to the letter. I loved how the character progressed from 30's style innocence to the darker "Dark Knight" style shown in the flash back strips. I think most comic history fans would read this and enjoy it's use of the medium. Non history fans would just enjoy a really well thought out crime story with great art. But for those that enjoy crime, comic history and Dick Tracy this was pure gold. This one will most definitely get a re read on the shelf.

Vince, you broke my wifes heart. You mentioned Mai the Psychic Girl and she was hoping you were going to do one of your famous breakdowns. When we first got together and she wanted to see what comics were all about that was the first series she read start to finish.

Cant wait to get infinite Kung Fu!!

Travis

Only a rat, can win a rat race
LoadofBS
Alien Legionnaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #84 on: 01:08 AM | Monday, August 29, 2011 »

whoa, whoa, whoa...infinite kung fu just came out?
i got that at a used book store in eugene over a month ago. i can see it mid way down my regina pile from here.
did i pull a cable and time travel or something?

i thought that the last few episodes weren't the strongest. with this new one they're back in form.
I thought your last few posts were rubbish, but it's good to see you rounding back into form.
Bobgar Ornelas
Eternal

Secret Identity: formerly known as slurmo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: 09:08 AM | Monday, August 29, 2011 »

whoa, whoa, whoa...infinite kung fu just came out?
i got that at a used book store in eugene over a month ago. i can see it mid way down my regina pile from here.
did i pull a cable and time travel or something?

kind of hard to believe you with your screen name being what it is  Wink

maybe you have an advance copy? Was it in print with a different publisher originally, or is this the first time in print? I'm guessing it was advance copy sent to retailers

Click Me!
IanG
Alien Legionnaire

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 02:08 PM | Monday, August 29, 2011 »

Mr. Murder is Dead is a really fun read. Definitely in my tops list for OGN's in 2011. The art from Brent Schoonover is what really sold me on it though. Everything Chris said is correct on this OGN. It was also nice to hear from Brent on the show. And the book is somehow produced by that guy who played Spock in the new Star Trek movie, Zach Quinto. Maybe he'll turn Mr. Murder in to a movie someday, who knows.

Comic Book Reviewer at ComicSpectrum.com
LoadofBS
Alien Legionnaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #87 on: 01:08 AM | Tuesday, August 30, 2011 »

kind of hard to believe you with your screen name being what it is  Wink

maybe you have an advance copy? Was it in print with a different publisher originally, or is this the first time in print? I'm guessing it was advance copy sent to retailers
i was thinking it might have been an advance copy also but i didn't think trades ever got sent out in advance. there seems to be no difference in it from the "official" released book. just strange.
if i'd known sooner i coulda ebayed it.

i thought that the last few episodes weren't the strongest. with this new one they're back in form.
I thought your last few posts were rubbish, but it's good to see you rounding back into form.
Andrew a.k.a. Fist-of-Khonshu
B.P.R.D.

That's the deadliest killer ever bred!!!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #88 on: 12:08 AM | Wednesday, August 31, 2011 »

I read Infinite Kung-Fu at work the other night. I enjoyed it so much I sent a tweet to the creator. It is the most fun I have had reading anything this year. Beautiful art, I would love to see it turned into an animated movie, not live action. It was fantastic!

Now to move on to Petrograd.
RobCVela
Fear Agent

RobCVela

View Profile Email
« Reply #89 on: 01:09 AM | Thursday, September 01, 2011 »

Thanks for the mention King Dap. Can't wait to hear what you think of Supergods.

Sent from Robcvela

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you. And hear the lamentation of the women." Conan
Twitter name: Robcvela
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: