James Cameron's Avatar trailer/ scriptment

(1/4) > >>

Sean M.:
Go here to enjoy http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avatar/

and if you're interested, here's the pdf for the original scriptment that Cameron wrote years back and has re-tooled for the film- go here- http://freepdfhost.com/projects_new/288/3144/avatar.pdf if you really want to spoil yourself. ;)

NeverWanderer (Joey Cruz):
The trailer looks amazing.

But I'm really disappointed to see so many people just going, "Blah. Looks like nothing but a CGI reel. Boring!"

If this was a teaser for a new Star Wars movie, people would be freaking the fuck out... but since it's not, all they see is CGI and shut themselves off to it. It just seems to reinforce that cynical thought that original concepts can't make it in the franchise-driven film world.

As Vince would say... it's ruining my good mood. :-\

Damn, guys, I didn't mean to kill the party before it started.  :surrend:

Talk! Discuss! I'll keep my whining to myself.

Farrell:
Quote from: NeverWanderer on 07:08 PM | Thursday, August 20, 2009

Damn, guys, I didn't mean to kill the party before it started.  :surrend:

Killjoy!  ;)

I've been confused about there being two different Avatar films being discussed.  This one isn't based on anything, right?  It hasn't previously been an anime or something?

I think what people usually criticize about CGI is that it often takes the place of an actual story.  All the hard work seems to have gone into the visuals, with little attention paid to important stuff like plot and dialogue.  I'm not any of us knows enough about James Cameron's film to know whether that's likely to happen here.  For my part, I thought it looked good....although I don't think the movement of the creatures looks very realistic.  That's going to be a little distracting, but it's probably something I can get used to.

Quote from: Farrell on 07:08 PM | Thursday, August 20, 2009

Killjoy!  ;)

I've been confused about there being two different Avatar films being discussed.  This one isn't based on anything, right?  It hasn't previously been an anime or something?

I think what people usually criticize about CGI is that it often takes the place of an actual story.  All the hard work seems to have gone into the visuals, with little attention paid to important stuff like plot and dialogue.  I'm not any of us knows enough about James Cameron's film to know whether that's likely to happen here.  For my part, I thought it looked good....although I don't think the movement of the creatures looks very realistic.  That's going to be a little distracting, but it's probably something I can get used to.

Yeah, there are two films being made. One is based on the cartoon Avatar: The Last Airbender, but since Cameron claimed his title way in advance, they've shortened that movie's title to just The Last Airbender.

This one is a completely original idea that Cameron had years ago, but he waited to set it into motion until FX technology was where he wanted it to be in order to capture the story's visuals to his satisfaction. One of the reasons I love Cameron's work overall is because he can tell these huge FX-laden epics and still manage to pump them full of story. So, right off the bat, I had faith in this movie, before even seeing the teaser. :D The teaser just made it better for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page