Munden's Bar
News: Send us your comments! letters@bullpenbulletinspodcast.com

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. 12:09 AM | Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Creative Ways to Store/Display Comics  (Read 5266 times)
GreenzoOut
« on: 12:05 AM | Tuesday, May 18, 2010 »

Here's the situation: after being away from comics for a while I started listening to AC [moment of silence] and this show. 

That was over a year ago, and a year of listening to 11 o'clock has got me hooked on comics.  It's also got me buying monthly comic titles again. 

During My Time Away From Comics, I got married.  My wife accepts the interest.  Up until recently I was only buying trades.  When I told her I wanted to buy more monthly titles, her only condition was that I come up with a creative way to display my wares. 

My wife is very interior design oriented.  She'd rather have my comics incorporated into our living space than have longboxes stored somewhere--which I'll admit, is kinda flattering and cool.  Unfortunately, I haven't had any strokes of genius about how to display them, and was wondering if anybody on the forum had found interesting ways to display and store their comics? (One note: those wooden/stackable drawer boxes are out.  She doesn't care for them, though if someone has a good idea that includes those, I'd be interested to hear it.)

Any input would be appreciated. 
Felipe!!!
Fear Agent

I'm the Flippa Dippa

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: 12:05 AM | Tuesday, May 18, 2010 »

Have you looked into Library Binding http://www.librarybinding.com/comic-books.php

You could have you single issue binded or you could try the Comic Storage boxes that they offer.

Twitter: @felipegarza

Know this I only offer only 1 liners to the forums!  Smiley
Farrell
Elder God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12:05 AM | Tuesday, May 18, 2010 »

I don't know how creative it is, but my single comics are all bagged and (most crucially) boarded so that they will stand up on a bookshelf.  I have several dark brown bookshelves from Ikea for the purpose.  My girlfriend loves comics, hates comics boxes, but likes having them displayed library style on bookshelves.  

"We're mammals for chrissakes. WE ARE MAMMALS." - Wood
GLewis
Fear Agent

glewis2317
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: 12:05 AM | Tuesday, May 18, 2010 »

I've been thinking of buying a mess of these from BCW.

http://www.bcwsupplies.com/products/Comic-Accessories/COMIC-BOOK-STOR-FOLIO-15-IN.htm

Figured I'd scan covers to put in the front and make labels for the spine. As far as using them as some sort of decor, I just don't know what to tell you. I used to have a big plastic sheet, made for storing CD's and being hung on a wall. Would love to find something like that for comics. Still though, I have to many comics for all of them to be displayed.
GreenzoOut
« Reply #4 on: 12:05 AM | Tuesday, May 18, 2010 »

Have you looked into Library Binding http://www.librarybinding.com/comic-books.php

You could have you single issue binded or you could try the Comic Storage boxes that they offer.

That is a really good idea, and one that hadn't come to mind b/c I'm still forming my monthly buying habits and am nowhere near having complete runs of any title yet, but once I do I would definitely consider library binding.
GreenzoOut
« Reply #5 on: 12:05 AM | Tuesday, May 18, 2010 »

I don't know how creative it is, but my single comics are all bagged and (most crucially) boarded so that they will stand up on a bookshelf.  I have several dark brown bookshelves from Ikea for the purpose.  My girlfriend loves comics, hates comics boxes, but likes having them displayed library style on bookshelves.  

I can see this working, too. 
GreenzoOut
« Reply #6 on: 12:05 AM | Tuesday, May 18, 2010 »

I've been thinking of buying a mess of these from BCW.

http://www.bcwsupplies.com/products/Comic-Accessories/COMIC-BOOK-STOR-FOLIO-15-IN.htm

Figured I'd scan covers to put in the front and make labels for the spine. As far as using them as some sort of decor, I just don't know what to tell you. I used to have a big plastic sheet, made for storing CD's and being hung on a wall. Would love to find something like that for comics. Still though, I have to many comics for all of them to be displayed.

I haven't come across these.  Thanks!

As far as the "display" aspect goes, that's not as crucial at this point, and not necessarily related.  She bought me a copy of the Flash #200 for our anniversary, and wants us to get some other old comics to frame, hang, and arrange together.  That project is currently on the back-burner.  The main concern is finding a "good looking" alternative to longboxes. 
JMann
Alien Legionnaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: 11:05 PM | Tuesday, May 18, 2010 »

Howabout comic cubes?

http://www.comiccubes.com/cc_gallery.html

JMann
wide awake on the edge of the world...
GLewis
Fear Agent

glewis2317
View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: 01:05 AM | Wednesday, May 19, 2010 »

I would love to buy from them. If I had the money I'd order one of those nice looking comic condos.
Night (Travis) Nurse
New God

EOCGRPC score: 730 pts

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: 09:05 AM | Wednesday, May 19, 2010 »

Those are really cool. Thats the problem with large collections though. Anytime you want to convert to a new storage medium your looking at spending a fortune. I would LOVE to get rid of my long boxes (50+) in exchange for a cool contemporary storage device but it would cost way to much. Even converting to comic drawers would be pricey.

N travis N

Only a rat, can win a rat race
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: